Last year, I changed how I wrote out my new year’s resolutions. Instead of merely writing down a laundry list of goals that would soon overwhelm me, I wrote down how I wanted to feel. For example, in 2017 I wanted to feel adventurous. So as the year went on, I continued to check in with myself. Was I creating opportunities to explore, experience new things, go places I’ve never been? I truly had a wonderful time and it was the most successful resolution I’ve ever kept.
As I have reflected on that experience, I thought about the things that I got hung up on along the way. What held me back from living my life to the fullest potential? For me it’s simple. Fear. As I have become more self aware, I have realized that I am scared of so many things. So, in light of this exercise, I thought I would write them down.
– I am afraid that if I am successful as I businesswomen, that I can’t be successful as a mother
– I am afraid that I am not enough as a writer to help women change their lives
– I am afraid of being perceived as a narcissist
– I am afraid to give up alcohol to reach my health goals (that felt super vulnerable to write!)
– I am afraid of looking like I don’t know what I’m doing (spoiler alert! I don’t know what I’m doing!)
Now that that is out in the universe, I wanted to say goodbye to all of them. Goodbye excuses, HELLO FEARLESSNESS. 2018, I am living my own mantra and stepping outside of my comfort zone (because that’s where all of the best things happen anyways). No regrets.
Now for you, spill it! What is your word for 2018?